Friday, January 25, 2008

Hamas Threatens Mass March To Break Through Israeli Crossing


Hamas, fresh off a coup-like success of its penetrating the border with Egypt in the Sinai, has now made an announcement of a huge march of Palestinians on the Erez crossing into Israel. This story is very brief from DEBKA and I'm excerpting it right here because it is very important to see these words:


Hamas threatens mass march to smash through Israel’s Erez crossing for “return to Ashkelon”

Hamas PM Ismail Haniya’s adviser Ahdmad Yousef announced Thursday, Jan. 24, that the terrorist organization’s next step after overrunning Egyptian northern Sinai was a march by half a million Palestinians from Gaza through the blocked Erez crossing to Israel to “recover their towns,” like Ashkelon.

In case you didn't know...Ashkelon is in the south district of Israel. In my view, what Yousef has done here, disguised as some sort of civilian march, is a declaration of war on Israel. This amounts to Hamas officially announcing an attack on an Israel city of over 100,000 people and it needs to be dealt with immediately by Israel. If I had the reins in Israel, I would make a statement at the U.N. that this is a declaration of war on my country and that in order to protect my citizens of Ashkelon and other cities, I have no choice but to destroy Hamas. Then I'd take out Ismail Haniya by the end of the weekend and Hamas' reclusive leader in Syria and then begin a thinning of all senior Hamas leadership while putting every tank I can afford on the Erez crossing.

Hamas' plan here is to thrust 500,000 civilians through the Erez crossing, betting that Israeli troops will not fire on so-called "civilians" - if I'm Israel, I have no choice.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Consider the source: Debka. How often have they made predictions that have not panned out?

Consider the terrorists: Hamas. How often have they made empty threats that they never carried through?

Holger Awakens said...

Fritz,

First off, regarding Debka...I have found over the past few months that they have been mostly spot on. Sure, they do sensationalize some headlines and so forth, as in this case, they left out a bit more subtlety that Hamas was suggesting this would be a next step. But overall, Debka has been on target on their reporting of late.

As for Hamas, I agree that they have a history of boasting and bragging and threatening and they're as empty as a bear's den in July. But I fear today is different. First off, Hamas has been on a roll with getting out of Gaza to go to Saudi Arabia, then winning the stare down to get back in thru Egyptian crossings, the recent win on the fuel embargo and now the blowing up of the border wall to Egypt. It's my contention they feel a renewed strength so I take this threat seriously.

Finally, Hamas HAS to act big now, they have to produce as there is a new contender in town in Gaza with al Qaeda.

Anonymous said...

Israel needs to take this seriously. Start rolling out the razor wire to secure the border with Hamasland. Israel can not back down when dealing with these thugs.